Restricted Activities are elements of the Dietitians’ scope of practice that present a significant risk of harm and are reserved to those professionals specifically qualified to perform them.
The Restricted Activities are:
- RA-A Design, compound or dispense therapeutic diets where nutrition is administered through enteral means.
- RA-B Design therapeutic diets where nutrition is administered through parenteral means.
- RA-C Administer a substance to a person by instillation through enteral means.
- RA-D Administer a substance to a person by instillation through parenteral means.
Interpretive Guide: Restricted Activities. Last Updated March 2020.
As a registrant, you may register for Restricted Activities anytime through online services.
Restricted Activity Changes as of the 2020-2021 Renewal Year
- There are no longer fees for renewing restricted activities.
- Proof of competency for restricted activities is no longer required.
- During registration renewal you will need to select the restricted activities options available to you to confirm continuation of your restricted activities registration.
- You will be required to report on your restricted activities annually through your Continuing Competency Program (CCP) submissions.
- When applying for new or renewing registration of restricted activities, you will be required to sign a legal declaration confirming that you are competent to practice your restricted activities.
- If you want to add a new restricted activity, you can do so before or after your registration renewal through online services. There is a $27 administration fee when adding new restricted activities that you do not currently have.
- If you wish to discontinue a restricted activity registration you may unselect the restricted activity during renewal.
Some dietitians work in areas where they can become trained to insert Nasal/Oro Feeding tubes. This is an invasive procedure that is in a dietitian’s scope of practice when acting under the delegated authority of a medical practitioner and in accordance with specified standards. Please contact the college if this is an area of practice you are trained in.