Registration FAQ

Q1: What if I miss notification of registration renewal? Do I have to pay the late fee if I didn’t know about the renewal deadline?

The deadline for registration renewal is March 31 at midnight PST. A late fee is incurred upon late renewal, whether you feel you were made aware of renewal deadlines or not. If notice of renewal was missed, it is possible that you:

  • are not registered with the CDBC (practicing illegally)
  • moved or changed email addresses, but have not updated this contact information in your CDBC profile
  • changed jobs and/or employers but haven’t updated current workplace information in your CDBC profile.
  • forgot your user ID and/or password and cannot access your CDBC profile
  • “unsubscribed” from the Constant Contact software that delivers CDBC correspondence.

Q2:What is the difference between Full, Temporary, Non-Practicing status of registration?


  Full Temporary Non-Practicing Resigned
Can I practice?  Yes Yes No No
Do I need to complete my CCP/JED? Yes *Yes No No
Do I receive correspondence from CDBC? Yes Yes Yes No
Can I vote in CDBC elections? Yes Yes Yes No
Can I be part of a CDBC committee? Yes Yes Yes No
What kind of signature can I use? RD RD(t) RD (NP)
Do I need liability insurance? Yes Yes No No


Q3: Under what circumstances would I decide not to renew my registration? What are the implications?

There are many reasons why you may choose not to renew registration with the CDBC – maternity/parental leave, career change, travel, etc.

Please review CDBC Policies RC-18: Reinstatement of Former and Non-Practicing Registrants for details on implications for your career.

Q4: I am a former registrant with the CDBC. Can I renew/reinstate?

Yes. There are conditions to reinstatement that are dependent upon the length of time you have been off the register. Refer to the requirements listed under the Former Registrants section of the website. Refer to RC-18 Reinstatement of Former and Non-Practicing Registrants and QA-02 Continuing Competence Requirement for Reinstatement Within Three Years.

Q5: What is the purpose of the requirement to agree to the Statutory Declarations every year during registration renewal?

Statutory Declarations are statements of truth that all registrants must fulfill as part of registration with the CDBC. Because registration expires on March 31 annually, the Statutory Declarations must also be agreed to with each registration renewal. These statements declare that the registrant will:

  • always practice dietetics in compliance with the Health Professions Act, the Dietitians Regulation and the CDBC bylaws.
  • have professional liability insurance for all practice settings, in an amount of not less than two million dollars per occurrence.
  • maintain competence with dietetic practice by completing and submitting a CCP yearly.

submit a Consent to Criminal Record Re­check to CDBC and completed the Jurisprudence Examination (JED) for Dietitians every 5 years as required.

Q6: Is the Indigenous Cultural Safety (ICS) Training Course a requirement for registration with the CDBC?

No, the Indigenous Cultural Safety (ICS) Training Course is not a requirement for registration with the CDBC. However, a registrant may include the ICS Training Course as a learning activity if this training contributes to his/her CCP goals. The ICS training is a unique, facilitated on-line training program designed to increase knowledge, enhance self-awareness, and strengthen the skills of those who work both directly and indirectly with Indigenous people. The goal of the ICS training is to further develop individual competencies and promote positive partnerships. Participants will learn about terminology, diversity, aspects of colonial history such as Indian residential schools and Indian Hospitals, timeline of historical events, and contexts for understanding social disparities and inequities. Through interactive activities, participants examine culture, stereotyping, and the consequences and legacies of colonization. Participants will also be introduced to tools for developing more effective communication and relationship building skills. Refer to ICS Training and Cultural Humility for more information.

Q7: I am considering renewing my registration in the "non-practicing' class. What will this mean for me?

A: CDBC registrants with “non-practicing” status are permitted to use the title “Registered Dietitian – Non-Practicing” and the initials “RD (NP)”. Registrants with non-practicing status must not practice dietetics, including any volunteer dietetic work. RD(NP)s may vote at CDBC general meetings and may serve on CDBC committees. They are kept informed of CDBC activities and continue to receive regular communications from the College. RD(NP)s are identified on the CDBC’s public register of Dietitians as “non-practicing”.

Q8:How do I inform the CDBC of a change in employer?

The CDBC bylaws, section 54, require that “a registrant must immediately notify the registrar of any change in address, name or any other registration information previously provided to the registrar.” If you have changed your employer, or any other CDBC Registration information, you may inform the CDBC of any of these changes by updating the information in your CDBC online profile.

To add a new employer to your profile:

  • Sign into your CDBC online account, go to “Update my Employer”
  • Click on “Add Employer” and select from the drop-down list. (If your employer is not in the list, or the information about your employer is incorrect, please contact the CDBC.
  • Answer the “Primary Employer?” question by choosing “yes” or “no”
  • Select the type of “work setting” from the drop-down list and enter employment “start date” (and “end date” where applicable)
  • Select “Save” to submit.

To change current employer information:

  • From the Employment screen, select “Edit”
  • Update “Primary Employer”, “Work Setting”, “Start Date” and “End Date” information
  • Select “Save” to submit.

To remove an employer from your profile:

  • From the Employment screen, select “Remove”
  • Select “Continue” when answering the question “Are you sure you want to remove this employer?”

Q9: If I’m having trouble renewing my registration, what should I do?

If you have any problems with registration renewal contact the CDBC before proceeding to payment. Your registration renewal must be completed successfully on or before 11:59:59 pm on March 31, otherwise you may not use the title Registered Dietitian and practice dietetics on April 1.

Q10: Why do I have to provide my business contact information to the CDBC?

In accordance to section 21(2) of the Health Professions Act, “the registrar must maintain a register setting out, for every person granted registration under this Act, the following (a) the person’s name, whether the person is a registrant or a former registrant, and, if the person is a registrant, the person’s business address and business telephone number…”


The College’s Privacy Statement provides additional information on how the CDBC complies with BC privacy legislation while meeting its mandate of public protection.

Q11: If I do not renew my registration, am I required to resign from holding an inactive casual position as a dietitian with a Provincial Health Authority?

Because employers and unions may have differing requirements than the College, you are encouraged to consider this an employment question. It is recommended to refer the former registrant to approach the employer to determine employer requirements. Whether a dietitian is required by the employer to maintain registrant status with the College could depend on the type of leave: medical (long-term, short term), maternity/parental leave, leave of absence where the employer may or may not have an obligation to preserve the employee’s position.

Q12: What are some considerations for me, as a CDBC registrant, if I am registered with another regulatory college in another profession?

The CDBC doesn’t have any restrictions regarding dual registrations. You should inform your other regulatory College of your dual registration as scopes of practice may be narrow/limited in one profession as compared to the other. It is also important for you to consider situations where you may have to manage separation of roles/scope in meeting the CDBC’s legislation, policies and guidelines. You are encouraged to contact other regulatory organizations to find out if they set restrictions regarding dual registration as well (may differ among health professions).

Q13: I am thinking about starting a side hustle separate from my dietetics career OR I already have an existing profession and would like to start my dietetics career in private practice. Can I use my RD credentials alongside another designation of an unregulated profession?

In BC, health care professions can be regulated or unregulated. You can read about regulated health care professions here.

Is your side business or existing profession regulated? If so, please refer above to Q12 of the Registration Q&A.

Is your side business or existing profession unregulated? Read on!

This Q&A has been designed to help you consider aspects of if and how to combine an unregulated profession with your dietetics profession. Use of an unregulated title of a health profession that is not included under the HPA (for example, “certified herbal therapist”, or “certified personal trainer”) in combination with your Registered Dietitian title will mean that the responsibilities you have as regulated health professional will likely limit the scope and actions attached to the unregulated profession. This is especially true since clients and other members of the public can likely identify that you have two distinct professions, linked by one professional… you. Here are some considerations:

1. Are you marketing yourself and your business(es) appropriately in the context of CDBC requirements?

    • You may not practice dietetics using your unregulated professional title.
    • Key points to consider in CDBC Bylaw1 section 74. Dietitians must:
      1. not market and sell services and products that are unrelated to dietetics.
      2. offer alternatives to a specific product or brand, in addition to the one you are endorsing or associated with.
      3. understand the definition of marketing. This definition is also used in the Marketing Standards2.
    • Review the Marketing Standards2, Social Media Guidelines3, and Testimonial Position Statement4. When advertising both your regulated and unregulated businesses, best practices outlined by Ad Standards Canada Disclosure Guidelines5 are applicable to both your regulated and unregulated businesses.

2. Are you avoiding conflict of interest situations?

    • Review the Conflict of Interest and Sales Policy6 in the context of having two distinct businesses in two different professions. Your Dietitian title can only be used for dietetic services.
    • Are you keeping sales separated from counselling? Per Conflict of Interest and Sales Policy 3(b)6, there is an expectation for you to keep any dietetic product sales separate from therapeutic care in order to maintain trust and integrity in your professional relationship. This can be expanded to include the requirement to keep your regulated and unregulated businesses separate.

3. Be aware of the CDBC expectations of pursing a therapeutic relationship between you and your client. Review Where’s the Line? Professional Boundaries in Therapeutic Relationships7, keeping in mind that if your clients have the potential to access you in both of your professions, the innate power imbalance between practitioner and client exists in both circumstances, and these principles apply to both of your professional roles.

4. Be familiar with the Code of Ethics8 principles to which Dietitians are held. Be aware of situations where your professional integrity could be interpreted as being compromised. It may be useful to consult the Ethical Problem Solving Tool at the end of the Code of Ethics.

5. Are you aware that the CDBC has the authority to investigate registrants for on and off-duty conduct? In this context, “off-duty” is interpreted as time when you are (1) conducting personal business on-line, and (2) when you are conducting business using your other professional title. Please see Q3 of the Social Media Q&A9 for more details.

6. As with any area of practice for a dietitian, it is pertinent to ensure you are providing evidence-based recommendations. Refer to the Evidence-Based Practice Q&A10 for more information. It is also important to consider possible allergic reactions to any ingredients or to be aware of any drug-nutrient interactions, in addition to contraindications for use in certain populations and food safety issues. Given that many herbal products and supplements may not have an NPN, you should consider that the robustness of the studies and safety data is likely lacking in many of the products you may access in your unregulated profession. You should familiarize yourself with the NPN legislation.

7. Refer to the CDBC Private Practice Resource11 for information on considerations for setting up a private practice. With regards to licensing or incorporating your business(es), the CDBC doesn’t have any guidance on how to set up your businesses, nor whether you need a license or incorporation. You could start at this BC government website for more information.

8. You may also want to refer to the Decision Tool for New Aspects of Dietetic Practice12 to aid you when reflecting on questions you have while balancing two professional roles, one regulated, and the other unregulated.

This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of considerations and the hope is that you will be in touch with the College when you have a question or concern about how to proceed in your dietetic practice.


  1. CDBC bylaws
  2. CDBC Marketing Standards
  3. CDBC Social Media Guidelines
  4. CDBC Testimonial Position Statement
  5. Ad Standards Canada Disclosure Guidelines
  6. CDBC Conflict of Interest and Sales Policy
  7. CDBC Where’s the Line? Professional Boundaries in Therapeutic Relationships
  8. CDBC Code of Ethics
  9. CDBC Social Media Q&A
  10. CDBC Evidence Based Practice Q&A
  11. CDBC Private Practice Resource
  12. CDBC Decision Tool for New Aspects of Dietetic Practice